Saturday, August 20, 2011

A blog?

For the past few months I have been wanting to start a blog, but I kept putting it off thinking that it was just a phase that would pass. As I continued to think about it, I realized there are actually several good reasons for having a blog. Here are the reasons I came up with, in no particular order:

  1.  I can use this blog as an opportunity to keep friends and family updated on my life.
  2. Since finishing college over 4 years ago (yikes!) I have not done a lot of writing. I seem to have been gifted with some ability to write well, and I don't want to lose the art of writing a good sentence and carefully selecting words for others to see.
  3. Within the past couple of years I have realized something about myself--I like to talk, especially about myself. Writing that sentence makes me sound pretty vain, but it is the truth. I don't really keep details of my life a secret. I share almost everything that is going on in my life to my family, friends, and co-workers. I can't help it: words just seem to flow out of my mouth. I hope that by having a blog where I can write about my life, I can reduce some of the constant talking that I do about myself. James 1:19 says, " Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger." That verse is very convicting because I am not good at any of those things! Maybe I'm being overly optimistic in thinking that a blog will help me to listen better and talk less, but it's worth a shot.
  4. A blog seems to be a good method of accountability. One of my goals over the next few months is to become healthier and hopefully lose some weight along the way, and I hope that by writing about my struggles and successes I can actually accomplish my goal.
  5. My dear friend, Kim, said that if I started a blog she would read it. So at least I know I have one person who will read what I have to say.
I'm sure there are more reasons, but 5 is an excellent round number and so I think I will stop there. Let the blog journey begin!




2 comments: