Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oops

So I promised this recipe awhile ago and totally forgot. I was looking for a filling yet tasty breakfast food and this certainly did the trick. In fact, it was so filling that I didn't even have to eat my usual mid-morning snack.

Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
(Adapted from Macheesmo)



English Muffins (preferably whole wheat)
Large eggs
Cheese

  • Crack eggs into a greased muffin tin (this will give the eggs a circular shape so they fit nicely on the sandwich.)
  • Bake eggs in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. 
  • Place English Muffins on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes while the eggs are cooking
  • Once the eggs and muffins are done, assemble the sandwiches with a piece of cheese. (You could also throw some bacon, sausage, ham, or whatever else you want on the sandwich and I'm sure they would be extra delicious)
  • Enjoy! Mmmm mmmm good!

These also freeze very well, so go ahead and make a big batch. If you are going to freeze them here are some suggestions:
  • Don't toast the English muffins.  When you reheat them the muffins will be extra extra crispy if you have already toasted them. 
  • Don't put cheese on the sandwich until you are ready to reheat. Cheese= not so good frozen.
  • When you are ready to freeze, put them in the freezer on a cookie sheet uncovered for about an hour. This will allow some of the moisture to be released.
  • Then wrap the sandwiches in foil and place in a freezer safe bag.
  • When you are ready to reheat, just pop the unwrapped sandwich in the oven for about 25 minutes on 350 degrees. And don't forget to add the cheese once they have cooked for a little bit.

While I was typing this post--a huge, I mean HUGE, flying insect flew into my apartment. So I spent about 10 minutes standing in the middle of my living room with bug spray in one hand and a Birkenstock in the other, trying to send the insect to his grave (yes there was some screaming, and perhaps a few not so nice words muttered). And I am happy to report it is dead and was given a proper burial onto my balcony. Thankfully the bug spray ended his life and I didn't have to squish him. Yuck! I'm sure all of you would have had a good laugh watching this spectacle unfold, so just picture this in your head and have a good laugh anyways.

1 comment: